Tuesday, January 22, 2013

That'll Teach Me

I really should learn never to tempt fate..."dodged a bullet", I said," I'm fine", I said. I thought I was so clever knocking on wood as I typed, but it took me down anyway. The morning was fine, but by noon I knew I was going to be sick and then I went down with the stomach bug too. I was determined to beat it though, so I rested the remainder of the day, didn't eat at all and I woke this morning feeling almost completely normal. Sure, I'm pretty hungry this morning and still a bit achy so I'm not at 100%, but I'll live.

Before the evil took me down I managed to get day 4 of the TIAS knocked out. This one was just the chains along the outside. In the pattern a catherine wheel join was suggested, but I'm pretty sure that's another shuttle only deal as I can just pass the needle through the picots and keep tatting, though it definitely does not result in the same straight line I noted on some of the other submitted pieces. Oh, well...it looks good to me, even if I still haven't a clue what I'm making.

As you probably already guessed from my first paragraph, I got literally nothing else done all day. We did run errands in the late morning, but that's when I started to feel a bit nauseated and marked the end of my usefulness for the day. The cat picture here perfectly illustrates much of my day. The kids still have two more vacation days, so I'm hoping for a better today to get some things done. So here's to a healthy, productive day.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear you caught it, too =( Hope you feel better!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. Any idea yet what the TIAS is? How long do they go on for before you find out?

P.S. Thanks for the kitty picture.

TotusMel said...

@Meg Not a clue what it is yet. I think they vary in length, but they last around 9-12 days. Who knows when it'll make sense ;-)

Vicky said...

Sorry to hear you caught the plague! Glad you're feeling better, though!

I tinkered around & figured out a way to do a Catherine Wheel join with needle tatting! It gets the same straight line, without having to use shuttles. :) I made a video tutorial of how to do it! It's over here on my blog: http://craftaholicadventures.blogspot.com/2013/01/tatting-video-tutorial.html Happy tatting!

TotusMel said...

Clever @Vicky It looks like you do that the same way tat around rings though I doubt I'll bother as I hate using cut threads if I can help it!

Vicky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vicky said...

I prefer to work off the ball if I can help it. I worked off the ball up to the Catherine Wheel section. You *can* still do a Catherine Wheel join while needle tatting & working off the ball, but I don't care for it. To do that, just follow the tutorials out there for a two-shuttle version of the Catherine Wheel join, & treat your ball of thread like shuttle 2. I wasn't a fan of passing the ball through loops & such, since I'm working with a largish ball of thread & a cat on craft-attack mode, but your mileage may vary! :)