Sometimes I worry that small changes won't make any difference with the final piece, so I'm often quite surprised when my choices add up to something even I'm impressed with. The first thing I noticed as I worked the first row to length is how much better it was laying already. I made several stitch count changes and made more joins and the resulting piece has a much cleaner curve than the original.
I've now got the first row completed all the way around and again I'm quite pleased with the shape and the small details I've added already give the lace more character. Well, I think so anyway. I've got two more rows to complete on the exterior which should add some more dimension and pull the separate elements together better.
I don't have any tatting in queue today so I'll be working on this project again unless of course something pulls me away. I won't know for certain if the piece works until I get the prototype completely finished, so I'm a bit focused. I'm also crossing my fingers because it's an awful lot of work to do and then fail. I am cautiously optimistic that I've got it though. Now if only stitch count changes could fix the "family issues". Then I'd be onto something.