Monday, March 15, 2010

The Collar, It Grows

I have made some substantial progress on the new collar design. After I made up all the spine motifs, I added the first row of the Arches necklace. I was left with quite an unruly string of pieces. Seriously this stuff is horrible to work with as the thread tangles around all the long motifs.

Next up was the bottom edge of the Arches necklace I did make a few modifications to this section as well, but only because it will now sit down a bit farther on the collar bone so it should splay out a bit more otherwise I was happy to note that that sections married together quite nicely.

Next up was the first 'super fun' part, trying to get the proper space between the long motifs. I won't lie, the final solution was not the first solution. I originally created a chain section that worked like laces zigzagging and crossing over one another. Then I proceeded to cut that sucker out. It pulled the pieces too close together at the stitch count I used, but if I increased them, it would have looked a bit...well, odd. So I went back to the old stand by, a strip of split rings. I really do dislike working them as I don't enjoy the re threading over and over, but they did the trick as they always do. The spacing was perfect and I did finish adding them last night, but I've no finished picture of that yet.

Next up on the project is to work out the outside edge, though it's like to be either strips of split rings or a simple ring and chain strip for lacing up the back. Then I get to work out the best way to create the bat wing effect between the large points. I'm thinking a dense design would be best, but I really don't know yet. It'll come to me I'm sure. Once that's sussed out, then I get to think embellishments, beads and drops and whatnot. I want this one to look extra fancy not just extra big.

One last thing before I depart today, just a heads up. Tomorrow my blog celebrates its second birthday. I'm not sure whether I'm shocked it's only been two years or more shocked that I've had so much to say that I filled up two years. That's not the point I'm trying to make here though. I will have a one day blog giveaway starting tomorrow morning and ending before I post the next morning. I haven't decided what I'm giving away yet, but it will be up in the morning, so stop back by tomorrow and get all entered to win, whatever it is to celebrate two years of people reading my ramblings.

3 comments:

Artsnark said...

looks good.

Happy Blog-o-versary

Unknown said...

That's coming along beautifully!

Candy said...

Your work is beautiful and this is no exception. Its nice to have a glipse into someone else's creative struggles. I am sure the new collar design will be absolutely amazing!