Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Busy Brain

I am running on empty again. All the little things are beginning to add up to become a mountain of physical and mental tasks that I must complete. The house hunt has reached a pause as we have caught up to the available homes in our specified range. We are waiting for a glut of foreclosures to come on the market that we've been led to believe will occur in the next few weeks, but that has not stopped my midnight busy brain thoughts about said house search.

Then there is the inevitable packing up of the household which has prompted a more aggressive and consistent approach to house cleaning in an attempt to maintain at a level of clean more easily packed. This has put me in a constant struggle with two small children who think that looking for their shoes requires them to throw every other shoe halfway across the room. I know that I have plenty of time, but it just seems prudent to begin now.

Then there is TotusMel Tat's, as a hobby tatting has kept my hands and mind busy. It has provided me with a much needed creative outlet as well as a gateway for adult networking and conversation which are sadly lacking in my stay at home mom existence. It is now, however, beginning to take on the size and shape of a real business. This has caused a bit of excitement, but far more anxiety as I try to make the right decisions to continue on this path without bad things happening.

Part of this is caused by my future attendance to the Maker Faire at the end of May. I have managed to fly under the radar thus far, but this will be me standing outside with my work being perused by hundreds, if not thousands of people. I am worried. Not only do have have an incalculable amount of work to get done in preparation, but this will be the first time in over three years that I've tried vending. The first and only other time was right before I joined Etsy. The experience was disappointing and uncomfortable. Were it not for the attendance by so many SteamTeam friends I'm dying to meet, I would be happy to remain ensconced in my house whilst selling.

So my busy brain has got me all in a state anticipating future events, many of which I have no ability to control. Now that I've throw all this out there, I shall endeavour to take a deep breath and move on. Hopefully this will have quieted my brain for a spell.

3 comments:

Sara said...

I'm sure you'll do great! Your pieces are gorgeous, and you've had much more exposure than you did last time. Congrats on staying afloat with so much going on, I would've bailed out a long time ago!

mermaiden said...

Life is intense, isn't it!
One thing to give you a boost of confidence at Maker- you've chosen a venue where you'll be appreciated by the crowd that's drawn to that event. I've found that makes all the difference even if a lot of sales don't happen. Some face to face love is good for the creator soul.

. c h o k l i t . said...

We're going to have so much fun at Maker Faire! Don't even start to stress about it - we'll all be there to support each other. Even if we don't sell anything, it's great exposure and we get to hang out!

Can't wait... hang in there...