Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Old

As predicted shuttling the oldest child to and from testing complicated the morning, but once afternoon was upon us I was able to sit down and work. I decided that if I couldn't come up with any new ideas that I would rely on some old ideas. I grabbed my stack of vintage and antique pattern books and started flipping through them for something to work with. I've done this countless times before, but this time I was going for something simple that I overlooked before. I thoroughly intended to make something as written just to relax and get tatting.

Of course that's not exactly how it happened. I chose an edging pattern in an Anna Valeire book. The pattern was hard to even read, but as it turns out I was going to muck with it anyway, so it mattered very little was the original pattern was. I tried once the way it appeared to be written and immediately decided to change a few things. This is the second version I made with some extra elements and stitch changes, but shortly after I took this picture, I scrapped it and tried a third version with further revisions. I shortened the top chains and lost some extraneous picots. I also enlarged the lower rings.

I'm really liking what I've come up with now, so it's on its way to becoming a choker I think. I was hoping for a bracelet, but the length doesn't look good for it. Maybe an anklet might work. I guess we'll see once I get a full length of it worked. So that's the plan for today. I'm also going to keep that stack of old books near so I have something to make when I need to.

1 comment:

Caseymini said...

Sounds like you are on to something with the old books. I do the same thing. When no new ideas come floating by, I spend some time looking at what others did a long time ago... Everything old is new again!G