Monday, December 23, 2013

Winter Projects


While there were a few significant events over the weekend, it was pretty lazy. Sales in the shop have completely dried up, but I was at least expecting it this time. Halfway through Friday I decided it was time to start the tatting vacation,  winter project. Every year when the people stop shopping, I return to the crafts from whence I came. Back in the days before tatting took over my life, I knitted, cross stitched, crocheted and drew. So when the shop goes quiet around Christmas, I look for something to make myself or the kids. This year, it's leg warmers. Okay, so the pattern called them stirrup socks, but I'm an ex-dancer and I grew up in the 80's, so I'm very familiar with leg warmers and these are those. I finished them on Sunday morning and then headed to Michael's for more yarn to make a pair for the oldest child. I should have those done today. Maybe I should have picked a longer winter project, but I'm certain I'll find something else to make soon.

In other weekend news, we attended our annual gathering of friends on the Solstice. This means I can show you the tatted gift that nearly kicked my butt last week. I might have mentioned that I like to make one of a kind gifts. For this one, I took one of my existing bracelet patterns and tatted it onto a strand of rhinestones. The pattern itself is extra tricky to work in one round, since one side has to be worked, well, backwards is the only way I can this to put it. The chain did not want to stay put and I managed to not notice when I made one join on the second side in the wrong space until I was finished. Then I had to back up and do that section again. Suffice it to say, I have no interest in making this one again without significant recompense, but isn't it unique and pretty? I even stiffened just the backside so it keeps it's shape better yet still looks like soft tatting on top.

The rest of the weekend was either knitting or playing with the early gifts the children received. Today marks the official start of vacation for the kids and the husband is off the week as well. We're hosting Christmas so we'll need to clean and the kids have promised to continue doing reading classes during their break so they don't get too lazy. While I'm not closing the shop or anything, there will likely be nothing new there for quite some time. While some shops do well right after the holiday with people spending their gift money, that has never been my experience. So I guess what I'm saying is, get used to odd craft posts until normality has been restored.

4 comments:

LOTTIEFLA said...

I'd call 'em leg warmers too! Merry Christmas to you and yours.

rsmre said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Unknown said...

The bracelet is beautiful! I would not have thought to use rhinestones like that.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.