Wednesday, April 10, 2013

As Expected

Nothing went sideways yesterday. All was basically as expected. I rushed through the youngest child's classes so we were done in time to take the oldest child to day one of her standardized tests. While she took them, I sat in the hall with the youngest child, as a volunteer hall monitor, tatting. At one point during the day I had the familiar, 'what are you doing?' conversation with a complete stranger. I found it's been too long since I had to explain and I did a poor job of it. She didn't seem to care though and the question flew for a good fifteen minutes.

Testing was done by noon and it was back home to more tatting. I've made up a nice list of all the pieces I need to make up for the large order and they are getting done far faster than I actually expected though that will likely stop now that I've mentioned it and it'll start moving like molasses. Of course to get so much done, I am ignoring pretty much everything else on and offline. We did have someone come by about the fence yesterday with a little good news, bad news. The good news is that if the property owners next door approved the bid, he'll be back today to fix the fence and we'll be paying half. The bad, or rather, 'it figures' news is that they no longer make the same slats our fence uses and so we'll have an odd section of fence. I don't really care all that much about the aesthetics, but it's still kind of annoying and it has been par for the course in this half built development where the builders went bankrupt during construction. Exact replacements for things just don't exist, but what are you gonna do?

So today is day two of testing, so I will basically repeat yesterday. It should be her last day unless they don't get through all the tests they need to today. I really hope they do because the other kid has a doctor's appointment at the same time I would have to drop the oldest off tomorrow and that would make the day extra complicated. So here's to a nice quick, efficient day of testing and tatting in the halls.


1 comment:

Maureen said...

Whenever I read your blog, I am left astounded by the sheer volume of the tatting you produce! - it takes me a very long time to tat just one item; for example, I've been working on my hanky edging for more than three solid weeks! How do you do it???
You could always choose a fast-growing hedging plant to hide the mismatched bit of the fence - make a feature of it.