Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Morning After

Already a little late this morning as it's a holiday for both my husband and my daughter. Sure, I could sleep in a  little more than this, but I still have three cats that beckon me forth from sleep with incessant mewing so I'm lucky I got a half hour. So first I though I'd say Thank You! to Marilee for her comment yesterday. I haven't gotten many of those lately, but since I am awful at leaving them, I can't really complain about not getting them. Anyway, she marveled at how I got that whole bundle of Art Nouveau pieces designed and put together so fast, so I though I would tell you how or why that happened.

Well first the design was born from an already existing pattern. Sure, I made changes, but they were organic ones that simply occurred to me as I was tatting. Then I had instant feedback on the twitter. Folks offered color suggestions and even said they thought it would look good upside down. It's exciting to get that kind of feedback while you're working, so I worked faster to show them finished pieces and as I worked other ideas formed that begged to be tried. Sometimes an idea is slow growing and needs a lot of care to develop and other times it's more like a weed that would have grown with or without you. This collection is a field of weeds.

Now onto my outburst yesterday morning. I had woken to a series of strange and potentially wonderfully email messages. I also had a couple of existing orders that needed to be taken care of and a dozen other thing that needed doing. I was simply overwhelmed with it all and much of it required further email conversation and I just couldn't get my head around how I was going to it all in the time allotted. Without going into too much detail because I'm always afraid thing could fall apart, there was a mask ordered to be used by a male Finnish 'television personality' in a music video. This required me to deal with increasing the size of a design, but just a bit. Then there was a message from a stylist asking for several of my pieces for a cover shoot for a magazine. The magazine is high end but distributed in countries like France, Canada, Hong Kong and the Middle East, so I hadn't heard of it. A little research and consultation with the twitter hive mind convinced me to go for it, so I had to send off a package overnight to L.A for the shoot tomorrow. If and when things pan out one either situation, I will of course go into more detail and share the results. The rest of the day continued in a similar fashion with a couple more orders that needed details changed until the sun went down and all was quiet.

Today will generally be family time and When I get some time, I have a ton of tatting to catch up on including remaking every piece I sent off just in case they don't come back. So cross your fingers that soon tatting will be on the cover of a fashion magazine, I know I am.

7 comments:

Sarah V said...

Finger and toes crossed for you and I have to add how cute my toes look in their new Queen's Feet with the beautiful gray thread!!!

ExpatCentral said...

Oh, I hope everything works out!

Squee!!

Krystle said...

That is a whole lot of crazy to happen all at once lol! Congrats on the opportunities!

HippieKender said...

Congratulations on the magazine and the mask for the unidentified man!
I am so inspired by your work and absolutely love your tutorials. They are easy to follow, even for a beginner like me. I hope to one day be able to let the creativity flow and modify patterns on the fly like that!

Beelizabeth said...

Hope everything works out- the magazine cover wold great exposure for your business- but also great for all of us in the tatting world. It would show the world that tatting is not a dying art nor something just for the tastes of your grandmother. Good luck!!!

Marilee Rockley said...

Wonderful honors all around - congratulations! Yes, it does all have to happen at once, it seems.

Sewicked said...

Hey maybe the folks involved will love your pieces so much that they'll buy them!