Monday, September 21, 2009

The Faire

We made our annual migration to the Ren Faire held at Casa De Fruta. My oldest daughter has been dressing up for a couple of years, but this was the first time for the little one. So all gussied up in the fantasy versions of period wear, my husband claims he goes as someone from the future, we headed into the hills. The day was fairly cool, the faire not too crowded and we had a nice time.
The kids love to pet the lizards, turtles and snakes that have made up the petting zoo the last couple of years. The husband and in-laws go for the food and the...ummm...interesting people watching opportunities. Seriously though, if you've never been to one of these, the watching is totally top notch. There's the 'period perfect', the 'try too hard and got seriously messed up', the 'what, my Halloween costume from Target is rad' and everything else in between. Of course I would be remiss if I didn't warn you about the boobs. They're everywhere, on a platter, nearly breaking free of their bodice strapped bonds...however, this is not necessarily a good thing as there is absolutely no age, weight, nor beauty requirement for this behaviour. Consider yourselves warned.

Anyway, that was Saturday. Sunday found us trapped in the house as our patio was finally being poured. I'd complain about the concrete truck blocking our cars in, but I'm just glad to finally see some real progress in the backyard. We did manage a field trip to the home depot in the evening for some more blinds. This time, we had one chipped when they cut it. Horrible right...yeah, no. This means they gave us a generous discount on them. I got them up last night and if anyone can spy the damage I should offer them ten bucks or something. We still have several more windows to buy blinds for, this is going to be a never ending task.

This week will see the beginning of official homeschooling, a first meeting with the teacher and hopefully a lot of landscaping in the backyard. I'm tired already just thinking about it.

8 comments:

Sara said...

Here's to hoping that all your blinds are chipped!

That has to be the strangest comment I've ever left anywhere.

Me said...

your little ones are adorable. We occasionally go the the King Richard's Faire in Carver,MA but this year we were too broke. :( I love watching people in their costumes. As a former 18th century re-enactor I am always critiquing if period correct. If it's fantasy then it's fine but if you are trying for authentic please leave the wench bodice at home. lol. Kings Richard is for a few more weekends so me may make it yet.

AJ said...

Love the costumes you and your daughters are wearing! Faire is so much fun :)

H J Hess said...

How beautiful you all look, and the husband is very nice to look at. It's good to see families having fun together. Hugs, HJ

Gina said...

I love that time period. Faires are not that common here though. I know what you mean about the boobs. LOL! I think they need some guidelines for how much exposure there is. That's what those bands of lace were made for.

Jaded said...

I love your fantasy version costume!! that bodice you have is a pendragon, they are my favorite. I'm really good friends with the woman that makes them. she will be happy to see you wearing it!! :) you should come down and visit our faire in the spring one year!

. c h o k l i t . said...

Your little sweetlings look so amazing all dressed up! Love it.

Jennifer Nicole said...

The girls look absolutely adorable! I'm glad you had fun, and that (after reading more recent posts) the homeschooling didn't actually kill you...yet.