Friday, March 20, 2009

Before I Was Even Born

It was another long day yesterday. For those of you that have been following my dental drama, I got the permanent crown put on yesterday. It was shiny and pretty. I don't know if the guys down at the dental lab that make these things to custom fit consider themselves artists, but I do. When I got back my youngest started running a fever. It's probably just a cold, but she slept for crap last night. That means I too slept for crap. I got a hold of all but one winner yesterday and the prizes will start going out today. If you want to take me up on yesterdays pendant offer, remember it is only good until Sunday.

So I do have a tatting confession for you. I am not well versed in its designers nor the intricacies of it's history. Sure a few names are familiar, but for the most part, I just thought it was something interesting to try and flew from there rarely, if ever looking back. Every time another tatter mentions a book that is apparently indispensable, I must admit ignorance. Though I have begun to amass a small collection of vintage tatting books and PDFs, they are mostly from the turn of the century and the 40's. Of the more recent creators I know very little.

A few weeks ago a tatting friend I became acquainted with over at the flickr directed me to a book after seeing my new footwear pieces, so out of sheer curiosity, I bought the thing for $7 and it just arrived. It is simply called Tatting by Irene Waller. Since I bought it I did come across some information suggesting that she was a major influence in the evolution of tatting particularly in adapting the work beyond doilies and edgings. As I flipped through the pages of the book, I realized a few things. First, this lady was a little loony in her enthusiasm. She appeared to truly believe that tatting could be anything and she knew it was art. Next, I guess I am a little like her in that respect though I do not share her love for rough and odd fibers. The book was published in 1974 in England and it is VERY 70's and though I'm glad I picked it up, I don't see myself using it all that much except as inspiration.

Actually it makes me a little sad that even though I try to come up with my own new ideas and avoid being influenced by other current designers, I'm not as original as I thought. She attached some very bulky tatting to wedge sandals and has a few choker designs as well as some even more wacky ideas in the book. I knew I was no tatting expert, but this confirms that my visionary status in on weak footing as well. That won't stop me from trying though, you'll see.

7 comments:

Gina said...

I have that book too. LOL! I have LOTS of books but I'm really bad about reading through them and actually learning from them. I know I should...but I'm happy where I am. I have other interests I want to pursue and there are only so many hours in the day. BTW, in spite of what others have said, this is not one of my favorite books and if I'd never seen it, it wouldn't have been a big loss, IMO.

Gina said...

OH, and also wanted to say, that just because you see similarities in what you've come up with and what has been done in the past, you have still done it in your own unique style and that is where the popularity comes in. You went a step or two or three beyond....and that's the important part.

. c h o k l i t . said...

You are SUCH a visionary, don't even question it. There's really not much that's totally original in the world any more, it's how you mash it all up that makes it art.

mermaiden said...

Being 100 percent "original" is near to impossible, I think. Out of all the people on the planet, what are your chances that no one has thought of that same thing before? It's all about your style, your spin, your energy, your personal fingerprint. You're an inspired creative being, and that's that.

Waterrose said...

I wouldn't worry about your visionary status...I think you come up with some exciting designs. I'm always amazed at your designs.

victats@gmail.com said...

Gina is absolutely correct. You have taken classic tatting patterns and used them in new ways. You have evolved your own style. You're almost better for not seeing alot of other books. It keeps you from being limited by conventionalism (is that a word?).

Sewicked said...

Okay, everybody who thinks that TotusMel is a visionary, raise your hand. Now raise them high, we need to count them....

Hmm, I'm blonde so I can't count that high. Guess you'll just have to accept that lots of people think that you're great. It's a big burden to shoulder, but I think you can do it.