Monday, July 20, 2009

Look What I Made

I had the worst nights sleep last night. Seriously awful. It has gotten ridiculously hot here and on top of that my brain won't shut the hell up. You see Saturday we met with our real estate agent to sign a few papers, but she had unexpectedly received the escrow papers so we got to look over and sign those as well. This is our first house buying experience and though I've done a metric ton of research on this stuff, it's never real until it's actually happening. Causing a particularly high level of stress were the pages denoting the tax disclosures. I know that they will be reevaluated with the new, much lower sale price, but they still gave me...pause. All those things we were going to buy for the new house listed out in our heads are now right out until all this business works itself out. So, yeah...didn't sleep so well.

Before all that happened though, an interesting tatting project fell into my lap. A friend of mine, met through the Internet, Diana. You might know her as paynesgrey , asked for a few pieces to add to her current doll project. Now, I've been asked to make some odd things in lace, some easy some impossible, but these rank high up on the things I never thought I'd try to make. First a hat band and matching garter...so easy. I made them both in a Celtic fashion to make them not only look a little more complex, but also to give them a little extra strength. Yeah, that wasn't the odd part. The odd part was a little whip. Honestly I would not have known where to start with this piece, but she had made a design out where it would be made in three parts and folded over with the whip portion braided.

I went a little further with the design and matching the other pieces weaved the handle together in a triangle. The actual whip was a simple crochet chain braided together thicker toward the handle. I was pretty proud of how quickly the pieces came together. Though I am notoriously design lazy. I mean, the first prototype of a piece is almost always the end product. I rarely take the time to refine and adjust a design. If it looks like it'll work the first go round, it is done. Anyway, I'm certain you have questions as to what sort of doll might need these accouterments, but for now I shall keep you in he dark. Hopefully I'll be able to reveal it as she does.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

What a cool project. It looks great. :)

Sewicked said...

I wonder if my guess about the doll is correct.....Cute.

Artsnark said...

always fun to push the creative envelope! Unique piece

Diana said...

Hi Pam! I can't even tell you how excited I am to have your works of art complementing my latest art doll. I still can't believe 1) that you agreed to take it on and 2) how incredible they came out! You are a consummate professional and an absolute visionary, and it's my great privilege to've been able to collaborate with you. I hope hope hope that it's only the first time, too.

P.S. Will send lots of pics as he develops! Should be finished within 2 weeks...

Sidereal said...

Hmmmm, interesting...can't wait to see what she's doing with these wee whips n such.

. c h o k l i t . said...

Excellent! I can only dream of what kind of doll would need a tatted whip - I can't wait to see what it is!