Friday, February 26, 2016

Slowly

Another day another inch or so of lace. As the circumference increases, my progress on the diameter slows down painfully. Instead of growing larger quickly, it becomes a challenge just finish a few rows, then a couple, then just one in a day. I'm not quite there yet, but it's definitely slowed down. This picture was after a couple of rounds in the morning. I measured it at about 6.5 inches across.

Oh, and I really ought to mention again that this is not tatting. A few folks on my facebook page have assumed it was, which isn't such a stretch because that's what I am known for. If you've just tuned in here, it is called Armenian lace in the book I learned it from, but is incredibly similar to Turkish oya, or knotted oya, or actually about a dozen other names. Since I learned it from that book, I tend to call it Armenian knotted lace.

After a couple more rounds of plain loops, I decided to change it up again. This one is referred to as the honeycomb stitch. I haven't a clue as to why, it doesn't look very 'honeycomb' to be me, but I thought I'd give it a go for a few rounds at least. I haven't measured it again yet, but the growth is slowing, so it wouldn't be much of a dramatic change. I plan to do enough rounds of this to see if it does look more like it's namesake eventually. Then it will be back to plain loops for a while again. I guess we'll see how far the weekend gets me. We have a school outing today, so I likely won't get any done today, but the rest of the weekend should be fairly quiet. You might see another inch by Monday.

2 comments:

SWtrompeter said...

It's very pretty.

Jeff Hamilton said...

Looking awesome! I really should give Armenian lace a try.