Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Tattooed Needle Tatter

Here we are again at personal reveal time. As it has become a custom, I shall now do a quick recap of what you have learned thus far. First I told you how TotusMel, the name was born. Then I shared my first dead dream, followed by the origin of my hair color and finally, how I met my husband. Today I shall tell you the story that gives me a reason to call myself a tattooed needle tatted by answering another question that nobody ever asked.

How did you get your first tattoo?

I think that is worth noting that by the time I was 16, I had adopted, let's say, an alternative appearance. Multi-colored hair wraps, hair of unnatural shades, and gobs of junk jewelry worn all at the same time. Underneath all of this I was just a little geek. Sure I had my fair share of drunken night, but I avoided the drugs and really had no "unsavory" friends, I just looked like I might. When the blond, rich girl that sat next to me in French class started going on about where to find someone who would tattoo a 16 year old because she assumed I knew someone, I just thought to myself that I wasn't going to allow her to get one first.

This was just the beginning of the 90's tribal tattoo, tramp stamp era, but since I didn't actually know anyone that could help me and the Internet was still sometime away from existing at my house, I set about helping myself. Using all the knowledge that television could provide, I opted for a sterilized needle and since I didn't want a "prison" ink tattoo that would fade to blue, I decided to use, and this confirms my crafting cred, fabric paint. My reasoning being that it was non-toxic. To further my geek stature I decided to place said tattoo on the top of my big toe in the shape of the Star Trek symbol. Days later the whole thing peeled off as a scab. Turns out that I did not stab deep enough and I'm left with some faint and unrecognizable splotches.

I was not going to let this setback derail my plan to have the tattoo first, so I went straight back to work. This time I placed the design on my ankle just behind the anklebone. It was a small flower that looked like a five year old had drawn it complete with red petals and a green leave, but I was proud none the less. I then proceeded to do an ankh on the other ankle.

Of course now I had another problem, my mother. I began using a ball point pen to trace over the tattoos to convince her that I was simply drawing them on everyday. After a few months I stopped and when she finally acknowledged them I flippantly retorted that I had had them for months. I do not think that she was amused, but it was too late to do anything about them.

Since then they have faded horrible and are barely recognizable and I've gotten quite a few more tattoos done right, but that's a reveal for another day. I have said for years that I will eventually get something done over them, but the truth is they have become part of my history. They are a reminder that some decisions stay with you and you can either regret them or own them. Perhaps I'll get frames tattooed around them instead to give them a place of honor rather that disgrace.

10 comments:

rockcreekcreations said...

"They are a reminder that some decisions stay with you and you can either regret them or own them."

I love this thought!! So did the girl next to you ever get a tattoo?
Thank you for sharing a part of yourself.

TotusMel said...

She never got one in high school, but who knows after that!

Needledreams said...

I never liked tattoos but experimented briefly with scarring. Now I'm into piercings. My youngest sister has 3 tattoos and is into piercings, scarring and other things. Will love to come back to die my hair in different colors. May be one day. :-)

AJ said...

Even though it's non-toxic, I really winced about the idea of using craft paint to tattoo yourself!

Olorle said...

Great story! Thanks for sharing. I am fascinated by tattoos.

Diana said...

Great story and great ink! I am actually more in love now with homemade tattoos. Anyone can buy one, but who has the balls to DIY? You've rocked from such an early age...

xox
Di

Wenchie said...

That does take guts to tattoo yourself! Funny thing is that my mom got tattoos when I was in high school, however I had some designed before she got hers (which really made me think twice about getting tats). However, because I had planned them before she got hers is one of the reasons why I still went ahead after HS to get one.

mama4 said...

I really think your feet are way too small they look funky Anya says soo too

Waterrose said...

Well it can be said that you don't give up! My kids 26 and 28 have tattoos...but none for me...yet. My daughter has beautiful wings on her back, the atomic rings on her tummy and a "new" uncolored phoenix on her upper arm. Son only has a very primitive look owl on his forearm. What's odd he is the creative writer and she is the scientist...seems the number of tattoos should be switched.

Holly said...

Owowowow....doing it yourself, ahhhhh! I loved the story though, sounds like me, hahaha. My first tattoo was a disaster too, the guy had no idea what he was doing and its now a tattoo/scar, but I sort of got a "frame" around it now, and it all fits rather well....but you've given me ideas to blog about! ;D

I love tattoos, the only problem is the cost! blahhh