It worked. That's right, I did not destroy the mask, not at all. The mask was just flexible enough for me to further shape it yesterday morning. I get the impression that if I had dipped the tatting into the fa-brick stuff, as is one suggestion on the bottle, that it would have been rock hard. I painted it on either side using a dabbing motion to really get it into the lace. I am quite pleased with the results. There was no discoloration of the lace once it was dry and it gave it a nice shine without taking away the texture and as a bonus when I placed it on my face, it wasn't scratchy at all. This means I can stiffen a mask meant to be worn on the face with it should I need to. I do still prefer my lace soft though.
I did begin work on a second mask with this pattern with the intention of lightly stiffening it to be worn on the face. However, I also discovered with the stiffened mask that it would be easier to wear it over glasses that way. So it may get fully stiffened after all. I'll get that finished today and figure it out when it's done I suppose. The shop has been as quiet as a ghost for days now...again, so I don't have any other tasks on tap. I might still play with that hat I was writing about yesterday. Yeah, I still don't know, but the mask on a stick is done and I'm at least happy with that.