Friday, January 23, 2009

Rain Keeps Falling

You will never believe what happened yesterday. I actually made something new. I fought through my headaches and my children's inexplicable need to thwart my every effort and I made a brand new necklace. I did indeed start out with the gray lampworked droplets, just one for this piece. I dug through my box of, well, crap and came up with some black diamond colored crystals that matched the shade of the droplet. I knew I wanted to make a multi-strand piece, but I thought it would be more a straight chain that I ended up creating.

I started with the top strand and made a chain of Josephine knots and split rings. Then I started on the second level. I kept having to hand the piece on my mannequin head to see it hang. It eventually became clear after a lot of tangles and missteps that this one ought to go in a chandelier style. I modified the flowers from my flower garland necklace to a smaller three petal design and I hung the droplet in the center directly on the spiral chain.

You'll notice that I added a flower behind the droplet as it needed a little something with the sparkling flowers surrounding it. When I create a piece, I usually have an inner dialogue about what I should call it and as it often happens, this time there was a song lyric running through my head and that inevitably gave way to its name. The gray drop reminds me of a raindrop, add in that it was raining yesterday and I came up with Rain Keeps Falling.

I don't think it turned out to be the best feature of the bead, which was my original intent. I do however like the way the necklace turned out. Too bad it was a pain in the neck to make, so many tangles and getting the flowers to fall in the right direction was a bit of a challenge. I think I shall try again to make another piece with a droplet and see what else I can come up with, but I'll leave that for another day.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! This is really beautiful! Needle Tatting must be faster than shuttle tatting, because I couldn't come close to finishing something like this that fast!

TotusMel said...

Thanks...I think it must be faster too, but I imagine it has a lot to do with which you learned first. I'm a wicked fast knitter too.

Unknown said...

This is a really pretty pattern! Intriguing visually! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Instead of Rain Keeps Falling go for Raindrops Keep Falling. I like that better.