Thursday, January 8, 2009

Curiosity Is Killing This Cat

When I returned from my short trip I was greeted by a small burst of attention in my etsy store. I had a new chunk of people favoriting my store and a few more messages than usual and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why this happened. No front page I could find or blog mention or anything really that would explain it. This was the first time I really got antsy for the stats that are soon to be coming our way from etsy. I heard just a while ago that they are beta testing google analytics for sellers. I didn't really see the need for them for me as I don't advertise or anything, but I am an information junkie.

I've had google analytics on the blog for quite some time. It provides me absolutely no vital data. I don't really need to know how many visitors I have, where they come from and what browser they're using. I don't need to know what percentage of visits I get from each country or how many pages they visit or even what search terms landed them on my page, but I don't want to live without that information now that I know I can have it. I'm sure it will be the same with the stats for my etsy page. It won't really affect how I conduct myself, but I just have to know.

I am dying to find out where my customers come from and how they found me. I've had a fair amount of exposure though various channels online, but I rarely have any connection from those moments of exposure to sales. I have no idea if a blog interview or even my brief boing boing fame brought me any new customers. Sure, I get the occasional message telling me where they spied my work, but the rest is silence. I don't know when to expect this new information, but I'm sure as soon as I do I will have a brand new obsession.

4 comments:

Renee toeNja said...

Now I need to check out your store.

Athena's Armoury said...

Etsy will always be my home, but I recently tried out Artfire and am obsessed with the shop stats. I can't wait for Etsy to get going with this. Weeeeeeeee!

Anonymous said...

I found your work featured in an ETSY Treasury and have been following your blog when I can find the time. I have not yet purchased a piece but hope to in the near future.

AJ said...

Back when I had a website I was obsessed with my stats! Actually, it was funny seeing the random searches people would run that would bring them to my site. A few searched on my name, and I always wondered if they were looking for me or if there's another person running around the net with my name.