Wednesday, May 21, 2008

We're All Winners, Right?

Well I've got a couple of pieces of news today. First I have the results of the Spring Beading Challenge. As I predicted, I did not win, but I was surprised to get a special mention in the judges, Linda Chandler's write-up:

"First, I want to thank you all for letting me judge this beading contest. With so many wonderful and outstanding pieces it was very hard to make a decision.

Some of the things I look for in a piece of jewelry are uniqueness and choices of color and components. Another thing I like to see is the use of creative, and sometimes even mismatched, elements that are combined. Persuading disparate elements to come together and unify into a completed piece with unity and balance can elevate a jewelry piece to a work of art.

Above all, the jewelry should be comfortable to wear and be constructed to withstand prolonged wear. The attention to detail and workmanship are very important to making an heirloom piece of jewelry that can be handed down from generation to generation.

Now, to the jewelry! Totusmel's tatted collar deserves special mention. Anyone who has tried tatting knows how difficult it is to master and how much work is involved! This is a lovely collar that hearkens back to more romantic, Victorian times. Made in black or perhaps ecru, and the addition of Swarovsky pearls would make this collar a truly spectacular piece!

An Honorable Mention goes to tanqukarnitz! This necklace shows a lovely balance between beads and chain. The hard work and attention to perfect detail, especially in the silver chain and bail, truly make this a piece to be cherished and admired for its uniqueness.

Another Honorable Mention goes to morwynskya. This beaded cuff is beautifully made and shows a flair for color and design. It's eye-catching and evokes a joyful feeling of Spring and renewal.

Finally, I chose boxc.jewelry as the winner of the 2008 beading contest. This collar is like nothing I've ever seen before. Wearing it must feel almost like wearing a cape. The execution is lovely and original. There's a sense of fun balanced with a sense of drama. The variety of colors would go with just about anything. This necklace is obviously well thought-out and executed. Congratulations to boxc.jewelry on your win!

To everyone who entered this contest, well done! All the entries were great and that's what made judging so difficult. I would encourage each of your to keep entering contests and challenging yourselves in different ways. I hope you will all keep creating wonderful jewelry. You are all winners!"


You can check out all of the entries and winners at the flickr site for the challenge. I really feel flattered to have been mentioned at all.

I also want to thank everyone for the support I got after Monday's post. I never had any real intention of quitting, even though I was feeling a bit discouraged. When I started this thread at etsy, I was surprised by the many people who lamented my potential departure. There are often threads in the forums where people are asked who their etsy buddies, mentors, idols, etc. and I have never been mentioned. I know because I'm constantly searching for mention of my name. The reaction I got made me feel very special and I want to thank everyone who posted something in support.

On a related subject, I actually made a couple of sales Monday and one was a really good one that included my Portrait of an Elegant Lady choker. So WooHoo for me! Maybe I should make idle threats of quitting more often. Who am I kidding, I couldn't do it even if I wanted to, I am a horrible liar and I mock those who make theses kinds of threats to get attention. I think it's gonna be a good week...unless my husband makes me try to buy the limited edition Metal Gear Solid PlayStation 3 bundle again tomorrow, 'cause after today, I'll kill something, I swear.

3 comments:

BOXC Jewelry said...

Thank you so much for mentioning me :) I went to borders a few weeks ago to look at the magazines, and I picked up an art magazine and you were the featured artist! I don't know if you know it or not, but I figured that I'd let you know. :)

Juli said...

You have amazing talent!

that_rat said...

Well, at least you don't have to kill anything any more. Tragedy averted. Gun Metal Gray PS3 is ordered! :^)