Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Man

After what I thought was an amazing turnout for my last article, I was repeatedly bombarded with comments regarding the legal issues of selling a product. I feel compelled to briefly address this issue. First off, I was not attempting to give anyone legal advice, but rather give people a jumping off point for making these decisions themselves.

I am fully aware that, in order to sell a product, you must first comply with your local and state laws. After many hours of research, all I can say for certain is that these laws vary widely from state to state and even from county to county. The enforcement of these laws varies just as widely. I don't honestly believe that the government will be hunting down all those who make and sell a small amount of crafts, but please believe that if you start turning a huge profit they will indeed want their piece of the pie. I know that some will wholeheartedly disagree with this statement, but please don't scare the crap out of people with doomsday statements!

I believe, based on the feedback I received from readers, that most people read the post in the way it was intended, not as business or legal advice. I hope that the points I brought up will help people in regards to how they look at their hobby and themselves.

1 comment:

MoppetsClosets said...

Great post!!

You've been tagged :) Stop by my blog to get the details.

Christi